Bad looking fonts as root

When I'm running KDE admin tools such as kuser from the menu with root
password (given to kdesu), the fonts look pretty bad. I've
removed /root/.kde and after recreating it, copied my normal user font
settings (.kde/share/config/kdeglobals) there. The fonts set in this
file are vairants of Bitstream Vera, but the fonts as rendered look
very different. Either they just are different fonts (bit maps?) or
they're rendered very badly. When I run kuser with sudo from the
command line, the fonts look fine. Any insights are appreciated.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                 Not only does lightning not strike
mailto:michael@schuerig.de       twice, it usually doesn't strike once.