KDE Restart -- Necessary?

After apt-upgrading tonight, major components were upgraded from -3 to -4
status.  I felt a restart of KDE was necessary to shut down all processes and
restart them with the new libraries.

ii  kdelibs        3.3.1-4        KDE core libraries metapackage
ii  kdelibs-bin    3.3.1-4        KDE core binaries
hi  kdelibs-data   3.3.1-4        KDE core shared data
ii  kdelibs4       3.3.1-4        KDE core libraries
hi  kdelibs4-dev   3.3.1-4        KDE core libraries (development files)

After fooling around with the login window and looking for a "Restart X
Windows" or "Restart KDE" choice, I performed a clean reboot.

What other methods could have restarted KDE?

Bob
--
BOFH excuse #235:

The new frame relay network hasn't bedded down the software loop transmitter
yet.