Re: Removable devices

On Wednesday 15 December 2004 16:40, Derek Broughton wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2004 15:45, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Thanks for your replies. Although kcontrol center comes close, it does
> > not do what I really need:
> >
> > - usb stick plugged off: no icon
> > - usb stick plugged in: icon (not mounted)
> > - usb stick plugged in and mounted: icon (mounted)
> >
> > Case 2 and 3 work already today, but I do not see case 1 working.
> >
> > My assumption is that knoppix creates with hotplug scipts Desktop files
> > like
>
> I'd like to understand how this works, because my CDRW does exactly what
> you want - I have no icon if the drive isn't in its bay, an unmounted Icon
> most of the time, and a mounted icon when it's actually in use.  I got that
> behaviour entirely accidentally.  The unmounted floppy icon is _always_ on
> the desktop, even though it shares the bay with the CDRW, so at most one of
> them should be on my desktop.

Oh, well, I guess I should rtfm...  Turns out I had CD-ROM and Floppy images
on my desktop from Desktop config files, rather than from kcontrol settings.
It's looking better now, though there's still a floppy icon on the desktop -
but iirc when I accidentally made the CDRW icon work right, it didn't work
completely correctly until I rebooted the laptop.
--
derek