Re: KDE 3.3b1

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Stephen Cormier wrote:
On July 16, 2004 05:34 am, Paul Johnson wrote:
Daniel Andor <da209@cam.ac.uk> writes:
Adding the "experimental" source lines and doing
	apt-get install gcc-3.4/experimental libgcc1/experimental
allowed me to install new version of libqt3c102-mt.  gcc-3.4 is
probably not needed.

What are these experimental source lines of which you speak?

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian ../project/experimental main contrib
non-free

[going back a bit and using my memory, maybe things have changed]

When I was using dselect to get XFree from experimental I found it necessary to put APT::Default-Release "experimental" in /etc/apt.conf, then edit sources.list to control where I was getting packages from. A side-effect was that when the experimental line was commented out in sources.list I could easily see which packages came from experimental because the were in the Obsolete/Local section. When not commented out it was necessary to put stuff I didn't want to pull from experimental on hold.

I don't think I would try to use dselect and experimental together today because there are many more packages in experimental than there was back then... there would be way too much holding and un-holding(?) going on, which, besides being a pain, could be more human error prone.

- Bruce