Re: Konqueror does not work with international domain names

Am Tuesday 13 April 2004 00:39 schrieb Chris Cheney:
> Actually the problem with openssl is that it is, was, and always will be
> GPL incompatible. The only way to cleanly solve the linking issue is to
> use gnutls which is LGPL. The openssl issue is currently worked around
> due to how kde uses https, but if more things start linking to openssl
> it will be bad. It would be much better if KDE were converted to use
> gnutls at some time in the future.

Actually, the problem with gnutls is that is is incomplete. ;)
AFAIK it does not support SSLv2 but only SSLv3 and TLSv1.
GnuTLS has an openssl compatibility layer, doesn't it?

What I don't like is the way Debian handles libgnutls:
libgnutls10 - GNU TLS library - runtime library
libgnutls7 - GNU TLS library - runtime library
libgnutls5 - GNU TLS library - runtime library

Well, it's nice to have all those versions around but I really hope they
ftp-master will delete them when nothing depends on them anymore :-/
E.g. exim4 changed from libgnutls5 to libgnutls7 to libgnutls10. However, on
upgrade, the old ones didn't get deleted although only exim4 used the old
one. That way, you have two dead lib packages around :-(
Other packages might work fine/better by linking against a newer version but
don't get rebuilt.
I really hope, apt/dpkg will take care of that problem in future...

HS

        oder über pgp.net