Re: Problem with upgrading to KDE 3.1.1 on Debian woody

Dear Leo,

I am sorry you have experienced the same problem that I did.

Here is what I did (as I best remember it): it my help you, or crash your system entirely: so beware! Although I cannot explain precisely what caused the problem in the first place, or what solved it in he second, my system is now up and running KDE_3.1.1-0woody1.

1. When I lost KDE, I apt-get installed the Debian packages for GNOME and set it up as my default window manager in /etc/X11/default-display-manager.
This restored X windows to my installation.

2. I felt I had nothing to lose and so I added a line in my /etc/apt/sources.list to include the unstable distribution as well. This may be quite dangerous: it may be better to add the testing distribution instead.

3. I made sure that my default distribution was the stable distribution by checking that /etc/apt/apt.conf had the line
APT::Default-Release "stable";

4. I ran apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

5. I encountered trouble with the perl package: I cannot remember exactly which but there were conflicts because of dependencies of other packages on version perl_5.6 when version 5.8 had been installed in the upgrade.

6. This required a little bit of hand fixing by removing the offending packages and re-installing them if possible after my distribution did not give error or warning messages when I ran apt-get -f install. Note that some original packages could not be re-installed because of the perl version change, but these packages were not very important to me.

7. One package I originally had from the unstable distribution was mozilla-browser_1.2.1-9: it was upgraded to mozilla-browser_1.3-3. This was the only unstable package I remember I had when kdm_3.1.1-0woody1 would not run. [Ralf Nolden told me that one or more packages from testing or unstable could be the cause.] At present mozilla-browser_1.3-3 co-exists with KDE_3.1.1 on my system.

8. It may also be that some libraies were upgraded and the problem disappeared with that upgrade. I am sorry that I cannot identify the offending libraries/packages with any precision.

9. When the distribution had been upgraded and apt-get dist-upgrade gave null results, I followed the instructions to apt-get install kdebase and kdm. I then tested kdm, and when it worked, resumed with the installation of the rest of KDE_3.1.1-0woody1.

10. The worst case scenario would have been a total re-installation of Debian woody. To prepare for this, I used

dpkg -l | grep ii > <file_name.txt>

to retain a record of installed packages in case of a total re-install; thankfully, this did not occur. [You could re-install by hand or write a perl script to semi-automate or fully automate the re-installation using this file.] Maybe there is a better way to do this!

I am sorry not be more specific, but I can definitely say that you can recover and have a working KDE-3.1.1 as I have!

Best of luck!

--Chandra
  02 Apr 03

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
A Dissabte 29 Març 2003 14:05, Ralf Nolden va escriure:

Hi, I have a woody r0 with kde3.1.0 from ktown (I did an download and I construct a cd). On monday I did an update of my box from kde3.1.0 to kde3.1.1

After do the upgrade my kde crash every time I try to run any program of kde, kdm first.

On tuesday I was looking on the list and I found that R (Chandra) had the same problems as I. First I downloaded the r1 upgrade cd and upgrade my bot to r1.

After I did a apt-get dist-upgrade as Ralf said. Also I check, because I had some suspicious that maybe I did some mistake with the packages and I merge the qt _3.1.2-0woody10_, but it wasn't, so this isn't the problem.

R (Chandra) said that he did a reinstall and all stand bad again.
So,

I have a kde 3.1.1 disaster in my home box and please I would need some help because I don't know what to do.
Please, any idea?

Regards,

Leo

--