Re: Only root can play sound

That's NOT the right way to fix it.

You should add the user in question to the audio group. In Debian, the
permissions and ownership of /dev nodes is VERY carefully thought out. e.g.
want  a user to  be able to use the serial ports? Then add him to the dialout
group.

At least doing it this way stops your friend with his guest account ssh'ing
into your box, and start playing mp3s at 3am for a 'laugh'!

David