Re: Woody/KDE3.1RC7 debs : Screensavers Report

--- Paul Cupis <paul@cupis.co.uk> wrote:
> > I just assumed KDE's own screensavers are independent of
> xscreensaver.
> > Certainly nothing I've installed from Ralf's Woody KDE3.1 site
> > required me to install an xscreensaver package of any kind ..
>
> kde's screensavers should be (are?) independant of xscreensaver.

There are two types of screensavers, regular ones that were made
especially for KDE. These files have the extension .kss

The others inside the screensaver box are actually ones that come
with the xscreensaver package.

> If you want to use the xscreensaver option, you must have
> xscreensaver
> installed.
>
> If you want to install xscreensaver, you must install exactly one
> of either
> xscreensaver-nognome and xscreensaver-gnome, in order to satisfy
> the
> dependancies of the xscreensaver package.
>
> KDE users should use xscreensaver-nognome over xscreensaver-gnome,
> if they do
> not have gnome installed.
>
> It seems that installing xscreensaver-gnome may cause (some)
> duplicate entries
> in the (x)screensaver list when using KDE.

It seems to me that the xscreensaver support is broken (at least on
my machines it is). I have the xscreensaver and -nognome options
installed. They used to work but I think they are broken in Ralf's
current packaging or at the source code level.

Has anyone else encountered problems using the xscreensavers
recently, even though you have the dependencies all met? Perhaps
there's some other library which needs to be upgraded but somehow is
not listed as a dependency?