Constant disk access in 3.1?

I am running Debian on a (mostly) woody system, an HP Pavillion n5425 laptop,
Athlon 900, 384Mb RAM, reiserfs. I've been running Debian on the system for
about 6 months.

This evening, I installed KDE 3.1 from Ralf's debs (thank you Ralf), and it
works great.

However, one strange thing has started happening - constant disk access. Only
in KDE. It stops as soon as I log out to kdm, doesn't happen in Gnome, but
while I am logged in to KDE as any user, the hard drive is being accessed,
non-stop even before I open any apps.

I ran top to see what might be causing the problem, but nothing seemed to be
taking up any undue share of the system.

This doesn't strike me as a KDE issue, but as it only happens in KDE, I
thought I'd try here first.

Anyone seen this behavior?? I am not quite sure what to be looking for here,
so am at a loss as to what to do next.

If anyone has any ideas, would me much appreciated.

Bruce