Re: environment question

Stephen Gran wrote:

Take a look at the end of config.log (hopefully it actually generates
one) - configure gives this error whenever a test compile of Qt stuff
goes wrong, but it doesn't mean that it can't actually find it.  I have
seen this error when, for instance, I'm compiling with g++-3.2 but the
Qt libs are compiled with g++-2.95.  Take a look at the error messages
towards the end of config.log, and go from there.

and Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Please use the variables found in the respective admin dirs to compile.
> they're in $(configkde).
>

>>export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde
>
> Not needed. libs are in /usr/lib, includes in /usr/include/kde
>
> Look up that stuff in admin/debianrules

Thanks, Ralf and Stephen.

The log didn't show more useful info but I checked once more the libs and - shame on me - the libqt3-dev package was missing, I only had libqt-dev installed. This notwithstanding the configuration issue persisted but I could compile my app now with

export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt
export KDEDIR=/usr  [wouldn't work without this line]

However, the toolbar button icons are missing. The app is kmlofax, a mature program that I have been using while it evolved for years and with icons.

- So I wonder what to do with this, and I still have the general question,

- what are others doing who are able to compile a program but do not have the skill to find admin/debianrules and apply its information accordingly? KDE help did not seem to point there at first glance, and I was unsure whether I had to execute this perl script. $(configkde) is in docbook format the path of which I finally fed to my browser with little joy over the result.

While I appreciate your help and great efforts, Ralf, I want to pose the question to the list in general whether it would not be nice to make it easier for not-so-much-but-somewhat-skilled users to be able to compile KDE apps on their Debian system.

Greetings,

Andreas