Re: Compiling for i686

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 19:27, Sean Fraley wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 02:58 am, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> > Does anyone know if compiling for i686 instead of for i386 would give any
> > speed increase greater than very marginal?
> > Any real-life tests anywhere?
>
> As far as I can tell, compiling just KDE for i686 will provide a barely
> noticeable speed increase.  This is because KDE spends a large amount of
> time calling functions from other libraries, which aren't optimized for a
> given architecture.  I would suggest also re-compiling at minimum glibc,
> libstdc++, xfree86, and qt for i686 also.  In addition, if you don't do any
> software development yourself, you might consider making sure that no
> debugging symbols are compiled in.

Let's make the little remark that under Debian this is pretty easy to achieve:
try
apt-get source libc6
apt-get build-dep libc6
modify debian/rules and set CFLAGS to whatever you widh (-O2,
-march=athlon,...)
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
then wait for ages and install the package.

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it