Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 16:46, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> > Yes... bad design, bloat, redundant code, all the horrors in one...
> > We use it at home because of the good support for MS office formats
> > though.
>
> Yup, actually OOo is the worst software, which I *have* to use everyday.
> Only for that MS file format support thing.

Ironic...

> You know funny thing is, instead of tuning it to start faster, in 1.1
> beta, they have added a status bar, so that when OOo is starting, you
> will know how many minutes you have, to go and get a coffee and come
> back ;-)

D'oh.

> There was a time, when Sun was known for producing fast, secure and
> stable code. e.g back in mid 90s, everyone (even their competitors)
> agreed that Solaris was the best *nix ever. When in 2000 they announced
> their plan for staroffice/openoffice.Borg I really expected something
> much better than this bloated piece of ash**
>
> It makes me wonder, what happened to that sun?

They're still making one of the best unices around, if it weren't for the fact
that we now have Linux, and Debian, and a few other opensource unices ;)

Seriously, for a desktop I don't think there is a point in choosing Solaris
over Linux; for a nfs server or something that has 32 cpu's maybe you should
consider Solaris :)

> just my $0.02
>
> --
> /* My name is Jehovah. I have a special plan to save the universe, but
> because of heavenly security reasons I can't tell you what that plan
> is. Your's just going to put your faith in me, because I see the
> picture and you don't. You know I'm good, because I told you so. If you
> don't believe me, I'll throw you on my enemies list and throw you in a
> pit where Infernal Revenue Service will audit your taxes for eternity*/
> 						--RMS

Lol... How serious is this meant? :-)

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it