Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 02:11:27AM -0400, Matt Sheffield wrote:
> That method has improved performance for me. However by default, Debian
> deletes the contents of the /tmp directory on reboot. Thus, the .ICE-unix and
> all of the mcop and dcop directories need to be recreated each time you start
> your machine up from scratch. But once these things have been set up, I've
> found that KDE will start up quite speedily.
>
> I don't like the slow first startup as I can't leave my system on all the
> time. I'd like to disable /tmp clearing and clean things up myself. How does
> one go about this? Which init scrip is it?

Well, I just edited /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and added the following
lines, after it clears /tmp:
mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix
chmod 777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
chown root.root /tmp/.ICE-unix

(note: 777 probably isn't the correct permissions, you may want sticky
 as well, but I'm the only one using this system, sooo ...)

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org