Re: Remote sessions

This is OT on this list, but I hope you'll forgive me:

On Thursday 16 January 2003 08.20, Terry Hancock wrote:
> > ssh -X didn't work, either. The error message was:
> > Error: Can't open display:
>
> This usually means the DISPLAY variable is not set.  Is that the exact
> message, or does it say what the display actually is set to?
>
> In csh/tcsh:
>
> % setenv DISPLAY the_computer_youre_at:0.0

No, don't do that, ssh -X does this already (in a secured tunnel).
The problem is, that sshd (on the remote host) was configured to not allow
X11 forwarding. See /etc/ssh/sshd_config, entry X11Forwarding.

If you don't have access to the remote host's config files, the other
solution is (not recommended):

on the local machine:
$ xhost +<remotehost>

on the remote host:
$ export DISPLAY=<localhost>:0.0
and start your program.

But this unsecure and should not be used, IMHO.

P.S.: sorry for the bad english,
	Akos
--
Putz Ákos		Email : bug@freemail.hu

PGP fingerprint = 67C9 70B0 C7ED C889 A91B  CED1 F706 2442 DF2A 308B