Strange menubar/toolbar problem in kde 3.(almost)1

Hi,

I've been running Karolinas packages for some time, and yesterday I
installed Ralph's packages, but I still have a very annoying problem with
the toolbar and menubar in some kde apps. For some unclear reason I get
duplicated entries in both menu and toolbar, see
http://www.cs.lth.se/~andersn/snapshot1.jpeg

I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of this, purging to whole
kde installation including my personal settings, deleting anything that
was left in /etc and /var that I could relate to kde, but nothing seems to
help.

In the process I also managed to break kdm :-(
It starts OK but when I try to log in, it would just restart X and itself
again. Looked in /var/log/kdm.log but couldn't find anything that gave any
clues. A console login followed by startx starts kde without problems
though.

Any hints someone?

/Anders Nilsson