Re: Problem starting kde due libfontconfig1 [solved]

Hello

I solved the problem by installing Ralf's deb's (also qt3 debs).
Still fontconfig won't install. But I got my AA back by using freetype
and xfs as fontserver.

Don't know what the problem was but I did is this way because I wanted
to get my kde back.

---
Anti-aliased fonts

Ok, here is where people are always having problems. This tends to
happen because either a) they've never dealt with X fonts before ever,
or b) They have dealt with X fonts before and therefore think they know
what they're doing. Here's the secret - Xft-using apps get their fonts
only through Xft, and don't use X fonts, so your Xft fonts and X fonts
are two independant sets, and the app will only use one of the sets.
Fontconfig is yet a third place apps can get fonts, but that's a Gnome
2.2 thing, so I'm ignoring it for now. And it tends to be smart enough
to pick up on the .fonts thing anyway.

Therefore, the fonts your gtk-1/gtk-2 (non-aa) apps are using are coming
from the X server, specified in /etc/X11/XF86Confg-4, whatever. These
don't change. The fonts your Xft apps are using come from the fontpaths
specified in /etc/X11/XftConfig or ~/.xftconfig.

The easiest thing to do, and what I do, is to just not touch your X11
config at all, and create a ~/.xftconfig as follows: (one line)

dir "~/.fonts"

Then put all your .ttf files in ~/.fonts. Run

~$ xftcache ~/.fonts
---------

Greetings
Rob