Printing, CUPS, and filters

For KDE2 I had installed CUPS as it was well supported by the printing
system. Now, apparently, the printing system can make use of lpd or lpd
additionally. I'm just using my locally connected printer (Kyocera
FS-800) and there are no others who access it. Is there any point in
using CUPS, then? Any suggestion what to use instead?

>From KDevelop as well as from the print system Kicker button I've tried
to print a C++ source file filtered through enscript. In both cases I
get the following error message :

<msg>
"The file format is not directly supported by the current print system.
KDE can try to convert this file automatically to a supported format.
But you can still try to send the file to the printer without any
conversion. Do you want KDE to try to convert this file to
application/postscript?"
</msg>

All roads from there lead to errors...
The enscript filter needs text as input and outputs postscript. My
hypotheses is that the printing system is trying to feed postscript
into enscript and fails. What's up?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  If at first you don't succeed...
mailto:schuerig@acm.org           try, try again.