KDE 3.0.4 and aRTs

Hello,

I have Debian Woody and KDE 3.0.4. I have a Creative
SBLive card and am using the emu10k1 OSS driver. Sound
seems to work fine since my microphones responding to
sound and the speakers play it back as I speak into
the microphone.

I've installed the kdemultimedia package. I can run
KMix. When I try to run Noatun or aRTs Builder. I get
the message "Connecting/Starting the soundserver
failed, make sure you have artsd correctly
configured". I can't find any file named artsd on my
system. Does this come part of the standard KDE
install, because the rest of KDE seems to work fine?
Any idea how I can get this to work?

Any help would be appreciated.....I really would love
sound using KDE apps.

Thanks