Re: How pull packages from unstable to a Woody system?

I've got a couple of additional suggestions:

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 09:57:17AM -0600, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> 2.  Create an empty /etc/apt/preferences file if it isn't already there
> (touch /etc/apt/preferences), and populate it with the lines below. Or
> you can paste in an already pre-made file you got from somewhere via
> E-Mail or FTP.  The bottom line is you want to have a
> /etc/apt/preferences file that look something like this:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 777
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 333

It may be simpler to suggest this instead:

2. To select testing as the default release for apt to install packages
from, add the following line to /etc/apt/apt.conf:

APT::Default-Release "testing";

> 4. Run "apt-get update".  This will now get the lists from BOTH
> "testing' and "unstable" on your machine.

Add a comment:

After this, you will probably see lots of new packages available to apt.
These are the packages that are currently only available in unstable and
have not yet migrated to woody, because of architecture issues, bugs or
simply because they are too new.  Use with caution!

> 6.  If you want to install a SPECIFIC package from "unstable" just run
>  "apt-get -t unstable install <package name>".  In the case of
> installing kghostview from unstable the command would be "apt-get -t
> unstable install kghostview".

Or, if you prefer front ends try aptitude.  It is possible to select a
package version other than the default: Select a package, press Enter to see
the package detail.  The available versions are listed at the bottom of the
screen, and you can press '+' to select a version to install.  Press Enter
on that version, and you can see what dependencies also need to be
installed/upgraded to make this version work.

Chris

--
Chris Halls | Frankfurt, Germany