Re: Work-needing packages report for Jan 4, 2002

> > [NEW] kde-designer (#127711), orphaned today
> > [NEW] kdebase (#127706), orphaned today
> > [NEW] kdelibs (#127705), orphaned today
> > [NEW] kdemultimedia (#127707), orphaned today
> > [NEW] kinkatta (#127708), orphaned today
> > [NEW] lcms (#127701), orphaned today
> > [NEW] libmng (#127702), orphaned today
> > [NEW] libqt3-psql (#127709), orphaned today
> > [NEW] meta-kde (#127698), orphaned today
> > [NEW] qt-embedded- (#127696), orphaned today
> > [NEW] qt-embedded-free (#127697), orphaned today
> > [NEW] qt-x11 (#127694), orphaned today
> > [NEW] qt-x11-free (#127695), orphaned today
>
> [- snip -]
>
>> Just out of curiosity, why have all these packages been orphaned suddenly?

>> There was no prior notice of this on either this list or debian-devel.

>Because some arrogant assholes (called debian maintaners officially)
>have flamed Ivan on debian-devel for his very hard volunteer work. The
>most interesting is that they think they did it on behalf of Debian
>KDE Users.
>
>I can only add I fully understand Ivan's decision after reading the

I'd just like to say that the reason for my doing this has little to do
with any dd's or the arguments that went on on the debian-devel mailing list.
While that did have some part in my decision I did not let that make my
decision as that would just be a stupid thing to do (IMO).  Things like that
are part of the job which is being a Debian Developer.  I however just don't
have the time to do my job properly anymore.  This has been a growing trend
for some time as those of you who have been following since the beginning.
Originally...crap almost 3 years ago...I was maintaining over 100 KDE
specific packages + QT on the side.  And that was for multiple arch's.  One
could say that I definatly had alot of free time back then.  Over the past
few years I have found less and less free time.  My job and personal life
has taken it's tole and of late I've had to make decisions that would make
sure that I could keep my job and be happy doing it as well as be happy
in my personal life.  Spending all my weekend and evenings doing Debian
stuff just doesn't cut it and my stress level has gone through the roof.  I
find myself getting angry easier and easier as the argument on d-devel
shows.  It also doesn't help that I care about the work I do and when I
always see comments about how I don't fix problems fast enough, am not
doing a good job at all, am always an asshole, etc...  it just grates on
my nerves.  It doesn't matter how much praise one get's.  I definatly never
deserved as much as I received as I constantly see other people who do far
more than I have ever done.

So with all of that said after my blood pressure went through the roof the
other day I decided it was time that I just walk away.  I'm not sure if I'll
volunteer for Debian as a Developer again.  I'll probably still help out
from time to time in other capacities and may do some non-official stuff on
the side.  But at this time I plan on removing (or rather already have) myself
from all mailing lists and removing all -dev crap off my machine so I won't
even be tempted.

and finally to help qwell some disputes I've read and some other crap I've
read:

  The PNG fiasco.  It could partially and quickly be fixed by reverting
everything back to using libpng2 specifically.  However by the time we found
the problem several large chunks of affected packages were aready built with
libpng3 and uploaded (qt/kdebase/kdelibs/kdemult/+others) and so several felt
it would be just better to move forward and just migrate to libpng3.

this brings up 1 other problem that was pointed out just recently.  Any
packages built against libqt2 that is in stable may break if they also link
to libpng2.  While the breakage is usually minor (depending on the app) it
is still a problem.

there is 2 solutions to this problem...one is to revert back to libpng2 and
basically stick with libpng2 and just migrate to libpng3 for qt3/kde3. The
other solution is to see if something can be done to libpng3 for backwards
compatability.  The maintainer of libpng3 is out until something like the 10th
so we won't know until sometime after then if this is possible unless someone
else jumps in and does the footwork.

The imlib bit will only be an issue is a new imlib is uploaded linked to
the new libpng3.

AFAIK all of the QT/KDE packages have been adopted.  Don't worry about KDE
not being in woody.  Others have taken the packages and will do an excellent
job.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II