Re: dpkg installation of kde 3.0.4

tomas pospisek wrote:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, John Schmidt wrote:

I compiled the kde 3.0.4 for my powerpc box based on Ralph Nolden's
source files on the kde.org site.  I installed them using dpkg -i *.deb
selecting the debs I wanted.  Now when I go and use aptitude to update
my testing box, I get messages indicating that the kde files I just
installed are slated to be removed.  Now did I mess up by doing
installations via dpkg -i instead of apt-get?  If so, is there any way
to fix this or do I need to move all the debs to
/var/cache/apt/archives and use a apt-get install?

I don't know about aptitude but I'm pretty sure you can find out by
looking at the explanation of apt/aptitude (maybe using some options that
give you more info). I know that dselect will tell you why it wants to
remove things.

I find aptitude to be similar enough to deselect not to be alien but far better enough to easily make the switch. When you are on the list screen after pressing 'g' and you see the packages aptitude wants to delete you can figure out what the problem is by looking at the dependencies and reverse dependencies on those packages. This is something that dselect can't do, IIRC. 'd' will give you dependencies, 'r' will give you the reverse dependencies (packages that depend on this one). You can then see the unsatisified dependencies which if necessesary can be examined themselves to see their dependencies, dependencies can be viewed recursively. Unmet dependencies are listed in red. There will be something there to explain the problem, I've always been able to figure out the problem this way.