Re: Slightly OT: Debian + ext3 -> Sid

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:04:33PM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> >     Forgive the slightly off-topic nature of this post, but I am in the process
> > of building a computer for a friend and was planning on installing Debian (Sid)
> > on it. As I understand it, I first need to download the Woody boot disks, do a
> > bare minimum installation, change the lines in sources.list to unstable, and
> > apt-get -dist-upgrade away. However, I have two questions: does the default
> > Woody installation support ext3, or do I need to get some special ISOs for that?
>
> If you use the bf2.4 version boot then you can use ext3.

Although, if you have an existing installation of woody using ext2, only,
you can convert over highly painlessly:

tune2fs -j /dev/mypart

Do this for all partitions. Then change ext2 to ext3 in /etc/fstab.

Install an ext3 supporting kernel. Then upon reboot, you will be in ext3.
Very painless.

> > I found some older documentation that suggested the latter, but more recent
> > information would be appreciated. Secondly, has anyone used PGI to install
> > Debian? I would be interested in comments, since I would prefer to have some
> > automatic hardware detection and PGI seems (in theory) pretty decent.

Use knoppix rescue disk to find modules. Write down output of lsmod. Now
use normal installer. PGI really sucks, IMHO, unless you like a pretty
desktop ala Red Hat. It installs tons of packages in an undebian-like way.
It does give you apt in the end, so I guess it's a good compromise for
desktop users.

Libranet has a free download now of an older installer that can painlessly
be upgraded to woody, so this can be used as well if you fear the debian
installer. :)

Fred