Help with KDE3 Please

Hi All,

My goal is to contribute toward Linux, and it looks to me like
Debian is my best avenue to do so.  I think of it as giving back
to all of you who have already given to me.

Primarily from reading the excellent "mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian"
and "davidpashley.com/debian-kde/faq.html" I've been trying to install
the 3.1Beta, but it looks like I've done something wrong.

(Note: To learn Debian, I originally installed 'stable' 3.0 (woody),
then recently upgraded to 'unstable'.)

To save time/bandwidth, I'm stacking all my questions here, in order
of priority.

QUESTION ABOUT DOCS:

>From http://mypage.bluewin.ch/kde3-debian, the "How to Install
KDE3 on Debian 3.x.y/Sarge (testing/unstable)" section appears to
have an obvious typo.  Shouldn't the first line be "up-to-date Sarge
system" instead of "up-to-date Woody system"?

>From the same web page and section, after my installation I could
not log in to KDE because I didn't have the 'kdelibs4-bin' package
installed.  Should this section explicitly mention 'kdelibs4-bin' too?

PRIMARY QUESTION:

(Reading the above docs, most of my uncertainty involved the correct
way to remove KDE2, and I *suspect* my current problems may be related
more to improper removal of KDE2 than improper installation of KDE3.)

I can login in to KDE3 and run, but I don't get the menubar across
the bottom of the screen, so when I minimize a window, I don't know
how to get it back!  I'd thought 'kicker' was what I needed, but that
is installed fine.

How do I fix this?  (Related question: where are the debugging/logging
files for KDE3?)

SECONDARY QUESTION(s):

Upon bootup, when KDM presents the login screen it places the name
of a nonexistent user ('pgd' or something) into the 'login' box.

Also, the title is German, "Valkommem till Linux pa sandra".
(Hmmm, the packager/compiler had a German locale, and I am missing
having an English locale?)

MINOR QUESTION:

sandra:~# dpkg --get-selections "*kde*"
kde                             purge
kdebase                         install
kdebase-audiolibs                       purge
kdebase-bin                     install
kdebase-data                            install
kdebase-dev                     install
kdebase-doc                     purge
kdebase-libs                            purge
kdebugdialog                            install
kdelibs3                        purge
kdelibs3-bin                            purge
kdelibs3-doc                            purge
kdelibs4                        install
kdelibs4-bin                            install
kdelibs4-data                           install
kdepasswd                       purge
kdepim-libs                     install
kdeprint                        install
kdesktop                        install
kdewallpapers                           purge
libkdenetwork1                          purge
sandra:~#

Is there a way to get 'dpkg' to forget that (for example) kdelibs3
was ever installed?  I can be mistake prone, so anything I can do to
'cleanup' is extremely helpful. (i.e. I don't want the 'kdelibs3'
line to appear in the output.)

Side question:  KDE3 doesn't have a 'kde3' or 'kde' package?  (I
tried to find/install, but no go.)

Sneaky question: Does this 'dpkg' output show that my prior problems
might be due to a missing package(s)?

FINAL QUESTION:

Any pointers to further FAQs, manuals, or web sites which would have
helped me answer these questions myself?

Thank you all very much for any help.

--Tom