RE: 178 days and counting

> mmm well...i shouldn't say this, but i'm going to say this...after an
> endless nightmare of trying to get woody stable to upgrade kde 2.2 to kde 3
> I give up.  I've never used kde before (being a gnome man up until now) - I

Sorry.

> wanted to try kde and give it a fair go, but sorry.  After all the
> installation attempts and hassles, forget it.  I don't want nothing to do
> with kde.  As far as i'm concerned it's a pile of shit, a big pile of shit.

I have it installed flawlessly using the apt sources. You also might need
to install unstable in the sources.list until it pulls in all the right
packages. Also, I heard the Brandon's excellent X 4.2 packages are good to
have before starting to upgrade to kde3. Finally, you need to purge kde2.2
before pulling in kde3.0.

I'm thinking of making a shell script to do all this for people:

cat $x-line >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update;apt-get install x-window-system
cat $x-line >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get -y remove --purge `dpkg -l | grep kde'

and so on. :)

> I don't give a rats ass what anyone else thinks of kde, nor what others
> think of my opinion, it can be shoved in a nice brown orifice for all I
> care.  As yes - i've tried very very very very hard to get this stupid piece
> of shit to run - i've spent 8 hours on this.  I've update from stable to
> testing.  Still no go.  I don't care anymore.  Question - I want to totally
> remove EVERY piece of kde 2.2 from my system.  Totally.  Short of a
> reinstall (and not choosing kde) how would I do this?  I'll stick with gnome
> thanks (i'm sure i'm going to get flamed for this but I don't care one
> iota).

apt-get -y remove --purge `dpkg -l | grep kde`

Please take a long walk/drive. Read a book. Take up a new hobby such as
basket weaving. Your attitude is not good for yourself nor others. I mean
this is a good way, be nicer to yourself. You seem like you've beat your
head against the wall, and I'm sorry about that. I've been there.

Have a nice life.