Re: html documentation for kde

fredagen den 27 september 2002 17.09 skrev Tim Wheeler:

> i know i should take the time to actually find the appropriate bug or
> submit one...but while we're on the topic...  the html documentation
> doesn't contain the images that the html references.  this means ugly
> pages.
>
> removing the links would be an editing chore.  the images would increase
> the size of the download (but i would prefer this option).

The problem is that if you pack the images with the html pages, you won't have
the images in the normal kde documentation (right?).
Some solutions to this would be to
1) to require installation of the html documentation
2) to have an either- or situation, either docbook or html documentation
3) to have a separate package for the images.

None of the solutions are really hard to implement. But I thought the whole
idea of the html documentation was to be able to use the application and get
documentation without installing the kde help browser.

Maybe another solution would be to simply, somehow, generate the required html
documentation during package installation if required. Maybe not with one of
those bluescreen questions, but with a comment "if you want the html
documentation, run the script generatehtmldocumentation" or something like
that. No extra package, no extra space, but you can still get the docs if you
want to.  As an alternative, there could be a kind of global switch to set if
html documentation is wanted, or a special package "kdehtmldocs" that if
present will generate the documentation during installation. That could then
also take care of generating non-english language documentation in html.

-- Karolina