Re: kdm trouble

I don't know why it would not be run.
It seems to be related to runlevels.

1) Determine which runlevel you are in when you first boot up and login as root with KDM.
2) Is this what /etc/inittab has defined as the default runlevel?
3) Does the  runlevel that you are starting up in have the proper link.
   For example, runlevel 2 would be like this:
   /etc/rc2.d/S99rmnologin -> /etc/init.d/rmnologin

Closing all the consoles sounds like it is switching to a runlevel that does not have the virtual consoles enabled.

The relevent lines from my /etc/inittab file show my default as runlevel 2 which starts 6 consoles.

# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

# /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
#
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
#
# Format:
1:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23456:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2