Re: KDE debs building

söndagen den 15 september 2002 17.35 skrev Ralf Nolden:

> as some of you got to know until now, I switched from SuSE to Debian this
> week - - and directly hit the fact that building debs from CVS would work
> best for me to have it working the right way (tm). Now, I got into working
> with Chris lately and we try to fix the issues one by one soon now so that
> everyone can build debs himself but more important, provide debs for KDE
> constantly that work, where also most importantly betas, RC's and finals
> are provided by the day that the packages are build and work optimal on
> Debian.

I have some experience of packaging KDE into debs, and I think it would be
great if we could combine our efforts.

My KDE3.1-beta packaging was not originally meant for distribution to others,
but it appears to be quite popular judging on the number of downloads I got
(I have 123 downloads of kdelibs from my machine, and there are a
mirrors....), so I am thinking of making the packaging both better, more
versatile and more fine-grained.

My main interest is just something that works, and since the debian KDE
packagers have announced that they are not interested in packaging KDE beta,
and have said that they are starting their packaging efforts first when the
final version is out, I aimed at packaging just beta versions and early
releases. I don't think it is such a bad idea that the main packagers work on
refining the final product, and are not bothered with beta versions when they
come.

Actually, what I really think is that by providing packaging of KDE betas, the
packaging problems can be found at an early stage, making it much easier and
less troublesome to fast provide a good final version for those who don't
want surprises (like with libpng this spring).

-- Karolina