Re: When will it be ready?

On Monday 15 April 2002 6:10 pm, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> On Monday 15 April 2002 16:03, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > Packaging KDE is significantly more difficult than most other packaging
> > > tasks.  KDE depends on many libraries which all have to work together,
> > > and compilation takes ages.
> >
> > Let me think of an example of a package which it ought to be easier to
> > package...  Ah, yes - insight or sather.
>
> Hmm. Well I think I myself said that testing KDE packages is difficult, it
> takes a lot of time to build and run/test, etc. I could claim that both
> those packages you mentioned were not so easy to package OTOH, look at the
> diffs and size...
>
> KDE3 configures, builds and installs on debian already. You don't need to
> fix that part. For policy compliance you change a few dirs, and well,
> that's it. I think packaging something is hard when it's difficult to
> configure and build it for your system; ie when you have to fix it. For KDE
> it's not like that, because KDE is portable and up-to-date software.

You would be wrong there. KDE does not like it if you change installation
directories. Variuos programs can't cope if $sysconfdir is not under $prefix.
Some of the packages don't like it when $objdir!=$srcdir.

There is also more to do the the debian packages than changing installation
directories. Manpages have to be written, rpath info has to be removed,
init.d scripts have to be changed. {pre,post}-{inst,rm} scripts have to be
written, kdm has be a drop in replacement for xdm, kde has to be set up as a
session option for xdm/gdm/wdm etc. They are only the things that I can think
of off the top of my head.

That doesn't include fixing bugs in other packages. calc spent most of the
weekend fixing a bug in debhelper. He has also has to update packages which
are not in sid yet, but are needed by KDE (i.e. libxslt)

> For a clean upgrade path, I really don't know what to say!!! Just bear in
> mind that you don't need much of an upgrade path :) You don't need to delve
> into some satanic configuration files it seems. It should be quite smooth
> for users. Maybe running kbuildsycoca automatically might be of help, but
> I'm not really sure. That is covered in KDE manuals, it may be expected
> that user does it himself. Are there any other issues?
>
> Thanks everybody for their comments by the way.
>
> Regards,

- --
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com