Re: When will it be ready?

> It IS more difficult to package kde in debian, simply
> because KDE3 for mandrake and other distributions is about
> 40 packages, and KDE2 is more than 180 packages in debian

And because debian has $n$ different ports where $n$ is sufficiently large to
cause frequent major headaches.

And because debian goes out of its way to provide a clean upgrade - and
downgrade - path.  Which is certainly non-trivial and which is made much
harder if you just throw together some quick and dirty packages to appease
the screaming masses and then three months later realise that you need to
make a couple of structural changes and suddenly you have to bend over
backwards not only to support the KDE2 -> KDE3 upgrade but also the KDE3
(earlier) -> KDE3 (later) upgrade.

Etc.

> To sum up: yes, users should be picking on maintainers who are not fast
> enough.

For heaven's sake Eray, if you're going to encourage everyone to hassle the
KDE maintainers you could at least have the sense to wait till the imminent
woody release is out of the way.  Somehow it seems that a watertight woody
release is more important than people getting their KDE3 packages two weeks
earlier.

But maybe my priorities just aren't straight.

*sigh*

Ben.

--

Ben Burton
benb@acm.org  |  bab@debian.org

What we have got is a dead carcass, swinging in the breeze, but nobody will
cut it down to replace him.
	- Paul Keating, on John Howard