Re: Building KDE 3.0 on Woody: Making sure it doesn't hose things.

On Monday, 8. April 2002 19:39, Doug Holland wrote:
> I've just switched from Red Hat 7.2 to Debian Woody.  I found the
> installation to be a bit tricky, but now that it's up, I find it to be very
> nice, especially because of the apt packaging.  I'm very reluctant to spoil
> a good thing, but I want KDE 3.0, and .deb packages are not yet available.
> I have the source tarballs, and I'm considering building them, with the
> target being /usr/local/kde in an effort to avoid stepping on files in the
> regular distribution, including KDE 2.2.2.

Exactly the way I did it, except that I have some more KDE 2.2's and 3.0's in
/usr/local as well :)

> What things, aside from building to /usr/local/kde instead of /usr, should
> I do to make sure KDE 3.0 doesn't screw up my nicely apt-consistent Debian
> system?  (I'm running Woody, with apt-get set to download unstable
> packages. So far, I don't have any major problems.)

I assume you launch KDE via startx (with startkde in your .xinitrc).
Make sure your /usr/local/kde/bin/startkde sets KDEHOME to something
different from .kde2 (or whatever your current kdehome dir is).
This way your current configuration doesn't show up, but as an advantage, it
won't get messed up, which happens quite regularly.

Well, that's all.
Note that you can run KDE 2 apps in KDE 3, but the other way around is _very_
problematic.
You can also launch Xnest to run both KDE's in case this is necessary.
	Xnest -ac -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc,\
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi,\
	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo :1 &
	export DISPLAY=:1

If you want to be paranoid about it:
- export KDEDIR and QTDIR appropriately
- adjust your $PATH

Josef

--
The MindX Open Source Project: Fighting proprietary games
GGZ now! - The GGZ Gaming Zone: http://ggz.sourceforge.net