Re: KDE 3.0rc3 Debs???

On Sat 30 Mar 2002 03:00, Chris Cheney wrote:

> KDE 3.0 final has been tagged and I am working on finishing up the debs
> for it currently. It will probably take a few more days.
>
> Chris

So, should I wait a few more days, or can I try building it from sources I
have a Linux Format DVD? These sources also include the qt-rsync? which seems
to be a complete qt installation?

I enjoy KDE2 but am itching to play with KDE3. One problem I do have with my
sources is the kde-i18n-3 seems to be corrupt on my DVD. Do I need this, or
is it just for languages other than english?

As for building, what is the best way to build this so it does not conflict
with my existing QT/KDE2 installation? I like the peace the .deb's provide
me, but I find that Debian gets so out-of-date upto the freeze. I've allready
built and installed X4.2.0 from sources, and then added Accelerated-X for
proper 3D support for my 3DLabs GVX1 board.

I think with pay-per-minute Internet access, building from source would be
cheaper than fetching .deb's from the 'net. But, should I use debian tools to
build .deb's, or jsut build and install the packages to, say, /usr/local/* to
prevent corrupting my installation?

Thanks for all the help and keep up the great work!

Cheers,

	John Gay