Re: KDE filesystem structure

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 22:55, James Thorniley wrote:

> So I'm afraid it's wrong to say a move to /opt/kde violates debian policy,
> since it's in accordance with FHS.
>
> I'm supported also by Mosfet, see www.mosfet.org/fss.html for an actual
> argument for why directory layout should be more logical.

We know that FHS allows it, that's why many RPM's have files in /opt. I have
some non-free packages such as icc that installs itself in /opt/intel. I'm
ABSOLUTELY sure that intel's build and release engineers are smart enough to
interpret FHS correctly (unlike some other people). It's actually a pretty
good idea, because the subsystem for a whole software package is defined very
well under /opt. You just put the front end in /opt/bin. Very well. To comply
with the debian policy some symlinks would have to be made, that's all.

There doesn't seem to be anything else the debian policy says that may relate
to /opt other than section 10.1.1.

10.1.1. Filesystem Structure
- ----------------------------

     The location of all installed files and directories must comply with
     the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS), except where doing so would
     violate other terms of Debian Policy.  The latest version of this
     document can be found in the `debian-policy' package or on FHS (Debian
     copy) (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs) alongside this
     manual or on FHS (upstream) (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).  Specific
     questions about following the standard may be asked on the
     `debian-devel' mailing list, or referred to Daniel Quinlan, the FHS
     coordinator, at <quinlan@pathname.com>.

It looks like /opt/kde3 is the proper choice for KDE after all.

I was going to suggest creating /usr/lib/kde3, make this KDE prefix with
symlinks to whichever directories are appropriate. For instance there would
be a /usr/share/kde3, and /usr/lib/kde3/share would point to /usr/share/kde3/

However, your quote does imply that redhat, suse, etc. packaging which
installs in /opt/kde3 is indeed FHS compliant. I wonder who was clueless
enough to think otherwise upon reading FHS. Daniel and Chris could you please
examine James' argument, it does seem to be valid.

Note that *everybody* except debian uses /opt/kde3, and changing to that
would be beneficial. The current layout has to be changed in any case, it is
major brain damage.

Thanks,

- --
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>