Re: What to do about libpng-dev?

On Thursday 03 January 2002 19:53, Oliver Johns wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2002 12:45 am, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > All I did with a new libqt upload was force a
> > resolution before the problem occured.   libpng3 is not
> > backwards compatable and yet both -dev packages provide
> > libpng-dev.
>
> OK.  The problem seems to be with libpng-dev.  I see that
> the package libpng-dev conflicts with itself!  Is that possibly
> correct?
> Shouldn't the conflicts and depends be as follows?
> libpng-dev conflicts with libpng2-dev and provides libpng2-dev
> libpng2-dev conflicts with libpng-dev and provides libpng-dev
>
> If that is the way it should be, then we ought to file a bug
> against lib libpng-dev for having a typo in its "conflicts"
> field?  (It lists a conflict with libpng-dev where it should
> list a conflict with libpng2-dev.)
>
> Will Ivan or some other guru please comment so a bug can be
> filed to alert Phillipe Troin (maintainer of libpng-dev) of this
> mess?
>
> Or is the problem more complicated than that?

(IMHO)It it more complicated. This only solves the problems for people who
compile their own packages. Since libpng3 and libpng2 both provides only a
libpng.so, libraries will get the one already loaded by the application. I.e.
if libqt was build with libpng-dev it wants to  load the libpng3 library
libpng.so.1.2.1, but when a KDE-program build against both libpng2-dev and
libqt-dev loads. It will depend only upon ONE libpng and will only load it's
own libpng.so.1.0.12. That way libqt will be talking with the wrong libpng.
There's really a few solutions.. Moving the version into the lib-names geting
libpng2.so and libpng3.so, or statically linking libqt against libpng, or
letting all libraries build against libpng3 conflict with applications build
against libpng2.
BTW. option number 2, then one I use at home, conflicts with the debian
package law. So it is out of the question.

Allan