Re: kdm and X-terminals

> > > 	I have setup my dualie to act as master for a number of X-terminals.
> > > (gotta love *nix!!)  But any time I run my usual  'apt-get update/apt-get
> > > dist-upgrade' I lose all the edits
> >
> > One other point.  Make sure that the line
> > generate-sessiontypes
> > in /etc/kde2/kdm/kdm.options is commented out.  Otherwise you will
> > have to reedit the list of seesions in kdmrc.
>
> 	I guess I'm not understanding what the /etc/kde2/kdm/kdm.options  does.
> Could you enlighten me some? It is NOT commented out, and the users are able
> to log on, use/run whatever is on the dualie....

In /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc there is a line like:

SessionTypes=default,kde2,gnome-session,wmaker

This determines which session types your users will be able to select
when logging in.  This is probably what you are editting.  By default,
every time you run apt-get upgrade, debconf will figure out what
window managers are on the system and add all these to this line (well
actually it doesn't seem to find all of them).  If you don't want
debconf managing this automatically, then comment out the
generate-sessiontypes line in /etc/kde2/kdm/kdm.options.  Then the
SessionTypes line will be left alone.

It looks to me like kdmrc is the configuration file from KDE while
kdm.options contains Debian-specific options.

cheers,
Eric