Re: fbcon

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:03, David Bishop wrote:
> >   Sorry, I know this is off topic, but does anyone know how to setup
> > the framebuffer device so that all virtual terminals get set to a certain
> > mode at bootup?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> man fbset :-)  Specfically, fbset -a <foo>.

Last time I was using the matroxfb (2.4.2) it the "fbset -a" would only apply
to virtual terminals that were open at the time.  So I had to put
"echo fbset -a mode | at now +1 minute" in a startup script to get things to
work correctly.  I am not sure if this problem has been fixed for all frame
buffer drivers yet, and if you use an older kernel you'll have to do this.

My recent tests with the rivafb on 2.4.12 show that this isn't a problem, so
it has been fixed for some drivers (at least - or maybe it was always a
matrox bug).

With the vesafb you use "vga=number" in lilo.conf, on my Thinkpad I use
"vga=791" to get mode 1024x768x16bpp.