Re: SSL sites in Konqueror

On Thursday 11 October 2001 05:07, Josh Morris wrote:

> Tonight I upgraded to the latest offerings in unstable, and now I
> noticed that I cannot connect to anything SSL in Konqueror (Mozilla
> still works).

Just a faint possibility, but do you also have libsafe installed?

According to libsafe, there's a buffer overflow in a memcpy() in
kio_http that only seems to reveal itself when kio_http is in SSL mode.
I've been trying to track down exactly what's going on for some time
but I don't have a lot of time or skill at debugging C++.

If libsafe is installed it will terminate the kio_http process whenever
it comes across this overflow, which is frequently, giving exactly the
symptoms you report.  Check /var/log/auth.log for messages about this
from libsafe.

If you do have libsafe installed, the workaround is to uninstall
libsafe.  :-/  Not ideal, I know, especially if you're a little
paranoid.

It's bug 30043 in the KDE bugs database ( http://bugs.kde.org ) if
you're interested.

--