3.0-beta1 packages

For those of you who are either currently using my 3.0-alpha packages or
are brave and want to test out the beta1 packages then this is for you.

I'm currently working out some final 2.2 build issues for interoperability
with 3.0.  Once I get these done and uploaded I'm going to install all
the qt3 stuff (now that 3.0.1 is packaged and available) and build us some
3.0 beta1 packages.

now as I have not really had that much time lately to work on this I'm guessing
there will still be quite a few bugs.  I will only be building packages of
those that I truely maintain (kdelibs, kdebase, and kdemultimedia).

With kde3 my current (and yet truely tested) approach for file layout is
pretty much everything under /usr/share/kde /usr/lib/kde (and /usr/lib/kde3
for the modules) /etc/kde.

With this you can guess that config files for kde2 won't be used or upgraded
to be used with kde3.  You get fresh and unmolested files.  This is somewhat
on purpose.  config files have always suffered with major upgrades and I'd
like to avoid that.  To better handle the capability of version mixtures I
need to move things under /usr/share/kde and I don't want to do that to
2.2 so close to release.  This is a minor inconvienance so I don't think
too many people will care much here.

the only true confliction with files that should occur is under /usr/bin.
This is where we have some fun.  I'll be testing this here soon so I'm hoping
it'll work..but who knows...  I've created a new package (kdelibs3-bin) that
now contains (like the kdelibs4-bin package) all the binaries that were once
in the kdelibs3 package.  Both kdelibs4-bin and kdelibs3-bin provide kdelibs-bin
and kdelibs3 now depends on kdelibs-bin.

now..keep up with me here. :)

kdelibs4 depends on kdelibs4-bin as we want the 3.0 stuff to be default...
well I hope we do...this is what I have to test.  The 3.0 stuff will require
the 3.0 stuff to run...I doubt it'll run with the dcop and other bits from
2.2...but the 2.2 stuff *may* run with the 3.0 dcop stuff.

so basically my theory is that one would have kdelibs4 and kdelibs3 installed
along with kdelibs4-bin.  Thus allowing one to use packages built against
either to run.

the libarts/libkmid  packages are being done differently.  We are just going
to use the newer stuff.  :)  If we come into trouble here then I'll do the
same with it as I'm doing for kdelibs.

I have no intention of trying to get both versions of kdebase or any other
set of packages to coexist.  I should have these packages up for dl very
soon.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II