problems w/ vsound under kde (artsd vs esd?)

I've just switched over to KDE from GNOME and for the
most part I really like KDE.

One thing I have discovered though, is that vsound
does not seem happy under KDE.  I'm guessing it's
not happy playing along with artsd and esd, but I
don't know enough about them to say or do much more.

When I do run vsound as I did under GNOME (e.g.
vsound -t -f foo.wav ./realplay http://bar.org/baz.ram)
everything looks cool - the realaudio plays, seems to be
'recording' via vsound - but when I close realplayer (the
point at which vsound should save the foo.wav file) I
get this error:

Missing file ./vsound5808.au.
This means that the libvsound wrapper did not work correctlty.
Here are some the possible reasons :
 - You are trying to record a stream (RTSP or PNM protocol) from
   the internet. You will need to use the --timing option.
 - The program you are trying to run is setuid. You will need to
   run vsound as root.
 - Vsound was not properly installed and hence won't work at all.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments they're much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric White                            ewhite@ssc.wisc.edu