DCOP errors and libkdeui errors

After several attempts to get KDE to play nicely again on my system, I've had to give up and remove ALL of KDE so I can at least use Gnome.

When I install KDE, any attempt to startx returns an error that the DCOPServer is not running and fails. When I remove KDE startx starts Gnome directly. gdm fails to start at all. Installing kdm only causes more errors about DCOPServer. The DCOPServer is provided by kdelibs3. I've also tried to get a few KDE apps to run without the full desktop, but these all fail for:

jgay@progeny:~$ noteedit
noteedit: relocation error: /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.3: undefined symbol: styleChange__8QToolBarR6QStyle

Again, libkdeui is provided by kdelibs3. I've obviously broken something with my kdelibs3, but after removing ALL traces of KDE from my system as well as moving the .kde and .kde2 directories from both my home and root directories, I still can not get KDE to run at all. Worse still, any requests for info or help as been greeted by silence. I've spent over a week now trying to get KDE running again, but I guess I'll have to give up on KDE and just get used to Gnome.

	John Gay