Re: Compiling KDE 2.2 on potato ?

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <snowwolf@one2one-networks.com>
> I hope I can stop some of all this silly backporting thats going on.

As a relative newcomer to debian, I tend to agree with the sentiments of
those who are wanting to backport stuff to potato.

For me, now I've learned my basic way around, I find potato to be the
easiest by far to use.
It installs nicely off the 3 CDs, and behaves itself consummately. No
complaints whatsoever. It's Linux from Heaven. :)

OTOH, woody is a bit of a pain. I found that if I do anything wrong, I
have to reinstall, which requires a fresh download of all the base
packages. Up to 30 mins on my 128k connection. To get around the endless
downloading, I tried downloading and burning 2 of the 'unofficial' woody
disks, but this turned out to be pointless, because unless I declared an
online apt source, I couldn't install any of the tasksel collections -
in fact, unless I declared an http/ftp apt source, tasksel would say
that there are no tasks available.
Worse, when I declared an http/ftp apt source, woody totally ignored
most of the packages on the CDs and went straight to the net - I
downloaded 1.3GB for nothing!! :(

More, when I try to install 3rd party debs such as Sun Java Dev Kit 1.3,
then follow up with the obligatory 'apt-get -f install', the jdk ends up
broken - no such problem with potato.

Yet more - while potato separates these into 'X' and 'Desktop', woody's
'tasksel' lumps all desktop packages together - you gotta get all or
nothing. Or, take your chances on dselect (which I find very confusing).

To me, as a relative linux newcomer, potato is a work of art - simple,
clean and robust. woody otoh is full of traps which trip up anyone
without detailed internal knowledge of debian.

I've wasted 50 hours on woody with nothing to show for my effort. But my
server machine running potato just keeps chugging along - I can get a
full-featured potato system up and running from scratch in less than 2
hours - 30 mins for the basic system.

According to other comments on the lists, it's going to be many months
before woody ends up stable.

So why should people have to wait that long to take advantage of KDE
2.2's superior performance?

David