Re: RFC: use /etc/kde2/system.kdeglobals instead of /etc/kderc

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 02:33:30PM +0200, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> /etc/kderc is used by _all_ KDE builds (as long as one does not hack the
> cpp source code).   This breaks kio_help from KDE CVS (see kio_help thread
> on kde-devel http://lists.kde.org/?t=99298269700001&w=2&r=1 ).
> Fortunately what can be done with /etc/kderc
> can also be done with system.kdegloablas (kdelibs/kdecore/kconfigbackend.cpp)
>
> So for upcoming KDE 2.2 (and later KDE 2.1?) pkgs , I would like to suggest
> something like  (modulo typos :)
>
>   if [ -L /etc/kderc ]; then
>     rm -f /etc/kderc
>   else
>     rm -f         /etc/kde2/system.kdeglobals
>     mv /etc/kdmrc /etc/kde2/system.kdeglobals
>   fi
>   ln -s /etc/kde2 /usr/share/config

this is already being done.

> or
>
>   mkdir /usr/share/config
>   if [ -L /etc/kderc ]; then
>     rm -f /etc/kderc
>     mv /etc/kde2/system.kdeglobals  /usr/share/config/
>   else
>     rm -f /etc/kde2/system.kdeglobals
>     mv /etc/kdmrc /usr/share/config/system.kdeglobals
>   fi
>
> instead of ln -s /etc/kde2/system.kdeglobals /etc/kderc as currently in
> kdelibs3.preinst in CVS.

I'm not going to use /usr/share/config.

> I've verified that my suggestion above works with kdm:
> without a /etc/kderc or /usr/share/config/system.kdeglobals
> kdm does not find /etc/kde2/kdmrc and therefore nousers config
> entry is not found and I get a long list of users.  Further log into vergin
> account with kde2 and my kde-cvs kdm session and found no problem up to now.
>
> Others using Debian KDE and a parallel KDE CVS build my try my
> suggestion new.  Suddenly  khelpcenter in KDE CVS works can display the
> documentation (wow!!!) (As long as one did not rebuild from CVS since Monday
> morning ;)

I've been able to use khelpcenter for a while now with the default config
that is currently in cvs.  In fact I have not touched the /etc/kderc link
to /etc/kde2/system... for quite some time.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II