Re: What's happened to Brahms?

>Brahms is actually in the official KDE sources, in the kmusic module
>(which is not currently part of the official KDE release).
>
>http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kmusic/brahms/
>
>Looking at the commit dates, it seems it's being actively worked on.
>
>Ben.

I had a look but not knowing a lot about compiling for Debian I'm not sure
how or if I can compile this for my system.

I'm currently running Progeny with the Latest KDE2.1 for potato as provided
by Ivan. I did try compiling the sources quite some time ago, before I had
KDE. I spent many long nights compiling mico, arts and brahms but could not
get anything to compile cleanly. I later fetched the old KDE1 package that
Ivan put together on my request but I had problems with the midi device and
then did a clean install with Progeny.

How difficult would it be to fetch the latest brahms sources and compile
them on my current system? I used to do quite a bit of midi writing with a
realy nice Windows app called NoteWorthy Composer, which I still recommend
to my Windows-using friends. I've tried RoseGarden, but it is far too old,
buggy and and long over-due for the overhaul to 3.0 promised over 3 years
ago!

I've had mixed results with compiling app's from source. I would prefer a
.deb to install to keep from cluttering up my system but know very little
about how to make debs.

Bruce Sass once said,
<quote:>

If you are running testing or unstable you can package them up
relatively painlessly.

     cd <src-root>
     <figure out what ./configure arguments you want|need>

Debianize with...

     dh_make --custom /usr/share/doc/kdelibs-dev/dh-make

...edit a bit (scarrier than it sounds, but do read the Debian
Policy Manual <or whatever it is called> first, and trust that
Ivan knew what he was doing when he made the template)...

     debuild        # or "debian/rules binary", or "debian/rules"
               # depending on if you want to build and check
               # a .deb, build a .deb, or see what will be
               # built

Hmmm, I wonder if a "back-ported" dh_make and template would work well
for Potato-KDE users?

</quote>

but Progeny is an odd mix of potato and testing and my KDE is strictly
Ivan's potato .deb's. So, I dont' know if this would work for me and if it
doesn't, what packages I would need to get. It might be easier to just
compile the sources and just make sure that I edit whatever I need to to be
sure that everything goes in the proper place.

Now that Ivan's site is back, and I can see it again, I'll have to have a
good read of what he provided for making your own packages.

Thanks again for all the help and for providing the latest KDE for the rest
of us!

Cheers,

     John Gay