Re: kde 2.2 deps for unstable ?

Am Thursday 07 June 2001 22:35 schrieb Emil Styrke:
> Malte Cornils wrote:
> >"Ivan E. Moore II" wrote:
> >>what deps are you missing?

> >I think he was speaking of debian packages (debs). Getting them from
> >experimental is probably something most people are not accustomed to
> >(including me :-)). Since other packages (like Adrian Bunk's "kernel
> >2.4 for potato" packages) are put up on people.debian.org and
> >"announced" as an apt line, would it be inconvenient for you to put
> >them up on people.debian.org instead of (or in combination with)
> >experimental? If it means more work for you, please don't; I'd
> >rather see that go into maintaining the high package quality than
> >pleasing the impatient crowd. :)
> >
> >I know, you'll probably tell me to learn using experimental and in
> >fact, this is probably correct :-)
>
> Let me just ask a quick question here.. what the heck is "experimental"?
> Tried substituting it for unstable in my sources.list, but it didn't
> work.. I managed to get the 2.2 debs manually from the pool directory on
> the ftp, and now i wonder, is this what you mean by "using experimental"
> or is there an easier way?

You have to tell apt that you want to use experimental packages for each
package you want to install. Experimental is an unstable unstable dist
and those packages might not even work at all and break your system.

Example apt source lines:
### Experimental packages
ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ project/experimental/main/binary-i386/ deb
ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ project/experimental/contrib/binary-i386/ deb
ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ project/experimental/non-free/binary-i386/

Don't forget to substitute "at" with your country code, to get to a mirror
near you and you won't need the "contrib" and "non-free" lines for kde at all.

If you know what you do, try:
apt-get install kdelibs3/experimental libkdenetwork1/experimental
konqueror/experimental kdebase/experimental korn/experimental
konsole/experimental kmail/experimental kdebase-libs/experimental
libkonq3/experimental

and then:
apt-get install kate/experimental

You should now have kde 2.2alpha1, I think.
--
WfG, Chris