Re: to stop the thread over conffiles...

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Norbert Nemec wrote:

> Sorry, I disregard that subject line - in agree with that solution except for
> one detail:
>
> As a sysad, I do not like to edit anything beneath /usr by hand (exception:

hmmm, /usr could also be mounted read-only?

> /usr/local) up to now, the only reason to ever do such a thing was to workaround
> bugs until a new debian-package came out. Usually, in backing up a complete
> system, I regard it to be completely restorable with only the original packages
> at hand and a backup of everything except /usr. (again, /usr/local is the
> exception) No idea whether that idea is compliant with the policy, but up to
> now, it has always worked.
>
> Therefore, the correct place for the system wide override directory should be
> /etc/kde/{applnk,mimelnk,servcises,servicetypes} which might well be empty by
> default. Actually, I believe having both /usr/share/kde/applnk and
> /usr/share/applnk with different meaning would cause a lot of confusion. IMO,
> the second option should be dropped and replaced by a /etc/kde/applnk (empty by
> default)

Having them in a single directory feels right, maybe...

/etc/kde2/share		locals and overrides
/usr/share		default Debian-KDE supplied

For subdirs...

applnk and mimelnk	most likely to be tweaked
			(mime-types, magic and default apps)

templates		I've only added stuff here, but someone may
			want to modify the existing templates

? service{s,types}	why would a sysadmin want to touch these?

So I would want to do...

/usr/share/{applnk,mimelnk,templates}

...and...

/etc/kde2/share/{applnk,mimelnk,templates}

...which leads to some questions...

The applnk stuff will be handled by /etc/menu-methods/kdebase and
KDE (kbuildsycoca).  Is that correct?

Who would take care of the mimelnk, services, and servicetypes stuff -
KDE (kbuildsycoca) or Debian (tagging along with menu-method/kdebase)?

Can templates be handled like mimelnk, etc.?

- Bruce