Re: directory size limit?

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 08:04:08AM -0700, David Bishop wrote:

> Is there a limit to how large a single directory can be??  I was copying
> a large number of iso's into a directory to be shared via samba on my
> local network (one of those virtual cd programs for the kid's games..
> ..d if it's something else stupid, please tell me that too :-)

This is not KDE related either, but I think you want ReiserFS - it can cope
with large directories (a lot of small files especially) much better than
ext2.

I use it for a FTP server which has 120G space - and believe me I am happy
that ReiserFS doesn't delay a "ls -l" at all when you have 10,000 files in
one directory.

Besides, the journaling means that after a power outage I had to wait 10
seconds for the 120G to be up again - not 120 minutes, like ext2 would
probably have taken.

just my EUR 0.02 :)

--
Jens Benecke                            > "Dann nimm lieber gleich Pattex!"
                "Na, ob das was hilft - der Hersteller ist schließlich eine