Re: khelpcenter search broken?

On Sunday April 22 2001 12:34 am, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 10:59:27AM -0400, John Dalbec wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the search function in khelpcenter but when I click on
> > the "search" button nothing happens.  I tried rebuilding the index but
> > this didn't help.  Is this broken for other people?  I'm using potato.
> > Thanks,
> > John
>
> do you have htdig installed?
dpkg -l htdig
uppercase=bad) ||/ Name           Version        Description
ii  htdig          3.1.5-2        WWW search system for an intranet or small i

The first two phases of the index rebuild appear to work.  However, the final
phase (generating index) takes a suspiciously short time and no progress bar
appears for it.  The update index dialog box has a blank space for htsearch,
which doesn't exist in the debian htdig package.  Should I use htfuzzy?  Why
are the "man pages" and "info pages" options greyed out in the dialog box?

I thought the search was working before, but I don't use it much so I can't
be sure.  The first time I do a search after restarting konqueror or updating
the index it sounds like something is being loaded from the disk, but after
that it seems like clicking on the search button does nothing.  I guess it
could be reading the indexes from cache.

Where are the search index files located?  Are they human-readable?  If not,
is there a command-line program to search through them?  Is there a log file
I need to be looking at?  One of the difficulties I have with Debian is
understanding the purpose of the enormous number of files and subdirectories
in /var/log.  I tried looking in .xsession-errors but it just had some
messages about bad-drawable errors from the X server with no indication of
which program caused them.