Re: true type fonts

On Thursday 05 April 2001 09:38 pm, Brian Schramm wrote:

> What does anti-aliasing have to do with true type fonts?  I thought that if
> you got the font server working then everything else would work.

Apparently anti-aliasing only works with TrueType and Type1 fonts.

Here's what I did to get anti-aliasing to work on a woody-system,
xfree4.0.2 with the most recent kde2.1.1 packages left over from
the time when my system was still potato:

a) Install Xfree 4.0.2
b) deinstall xfstt
c) install a few truetype fonts into /usr/share/fonts/truetype/
d) added the following line to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
    (in Section "Files")
The freetype module is loaded automagically in the XF86Config-4
coming with woody nowadays.
e) Went stark-raving mad, since kde seemed to find only the few
Type1 fonts, I had.
f) got on ppl's nerves on IRC
g) finally got a hint: in /etc/X11/XftConfig there needs to be a line:

dir "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"

h) Yippiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie - fonts in QT-Apps are now anti-aliased.

Hope this clarifies a few things :)

cya,
Volker

--
It is not best to swap horses while crossing the river.
-- Abraham Lincoln