Re: Memory usage

--------

Look at KDE's process management program (under the system
menu), or a program like qps (which is what KDE's program
is based on). It will show you in much better detail just
how your memory is being used. In particular, the control
center memory listing simply shows all memory that has been
allocated to something, but if you look at qps or whatever,
you will see that a large part of that is buffer or cache
memory. The kernel will try to allocate as much cache space
as possible... so most of you memory will appear to be used
up if you include that. Actual program usage will be less,
however. On my computer I have two x sessions open, both
with kde 2.1, for a total program usage of 50 mb.