Re: Which KDE source

<SNIP>
Questions which source for kde development should be used, kde tarballs,
Ivan's tarballs or something else?

Complains about two specific packages, namely kvirc and kwintv.
<SNIP>

No expert here, but your best bet IMO is to stick with Ivan's sources.
The release that just occurred of KDE 2.1 had a few 'packaging' problems
initially. They had to tag and retag and branch the CVS tree a few
times. Ivan stays pretty much on top of things. Of course, if you really
want the whole truth and nothing but, you can track CVS too.

On to the packages. I have no idea how either on works or was developed,
I just went to their respective webpages after reading your post.

1. kvirc, something amiss with it's tarball. It is missing
admin/macros/find-dl.m4.in. Which leads to it not having a proper check
for dlopen, which leads to no support for plugins, which leads to ...
kvi_dlgoptions.cpp includes kvi_frame.h for the proper definition of
kvi_frame, HOWEVER, it is surrounded by #ifdef PLUGIN_SUPPORT #endif.
Follow?
As a work around either define the appropriate pre-processor symbol (ie
HAVE_SS_PLUGIN_SUPPORT or something close) or remove the #ifdef #endif
so it will unconditionally include kvi_frame.h. That MAY lead to other
problems, but this is a problem with kvirc, not Ivan or KDE or Debian...

2. kwintv, I downloaded as well, sorry didn't spend the time here. Could
be a very similar problem. Suggest you look at the source.

Good Luck

Gordon Sadler