Re: assorted problems: Debian potato + KDE 2.0.1

Patrick Goetz wrote:-
6.
One of the features of CDE is that the user can save the current desktop
state at any point, so that this precise state restored when he/she logs
in again.  Is there any way to do this in KDE without logging out and
clicking save current session?  Furthermore, CDE is able to restart
netscape; KDE will only, as far as I can tell, restart konsoles, which has
limited utility.  Is there any way to have some set of applications (not
necessarily konsoles or KDE apps) which start automatically when the user
logs in?

And John Gay replied:-

KDE will usually re-start KDE-aware apps. Netscape is not KDE-aware. I know that
StarOffice will re-start automatically. StarOffice 'can' access the web, but
does seem to lack some functionality compared to Netscape. It is also much too
resource-hungry IMHO to use in place of Netscape. Konqueror should re-start as
well and seems to have more functionality than StarOffice as far as web browsing
goes. Konqueror also seems more stable than Netscape, though I've only used it
for a few weeks. I tried Netscape6 recently and it does seem better than 4.75
but Konqueror might be better for your applications.

I haven't used KDE2 for very long so my experience is limited, but I hope this
is helpful.

Cheers,

     John Gay